Lately I’ve been super busy and extra lazy which means I’ve had less motivation to make good home cooked meals. This has had a very negative affect on my eating habits and has forced me to eat unhealthier than usual. Let’s just say Ranch dressing, cheese puffs, and Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, have made a strong comeback in my life. But more often than not, I’ve been spending my meals eating out.
After eating out all week the only thing I want to have on Sunday is a healthy home cooked meal. Since I probably haven’t had a vegetable in at least 4 days, there is only one item on my mind… kale. I love kale. I think it tastes delicious and is so great for replenishing the body. It’s my go-to healthy upper. So when I’m tired, lethargic, and plump after the weekend, and all I want to do is relax and watch t.v, I make my favorite lazy healthy meal. Cozy Kale Pasta.
Of course it’s a pasta since pasta is always the easiest thing to make. And this kale pasta has it all. Even though it’s a vegetarian dish, I sometimes add pieces of chicken sausage to make it a complete meal for all the carnivores out there. With the minced garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes, this dish is light and delicious. I usually shred a bit of cheese over the top (can’t be too healthy) and use angel hair noodles since they take a whole 3 minutes to cook. If you want to be extra healthy use whole wheat pasta. Make sure to squeeze a whole lemon in the dish and add a little garlic and onion powder to the veggies to really make them stand out. Once you’ve made this dish, you will want to make it again and again. Whoever said healthy meals can’t be quick obviously never tried my Cozy Kale Pasta.
half pound kale (about 1 bunch), large center ribs and stems removed, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
8 large garlic cloves, minced
One box of cherry tomatoes cut in half
1/2 pound spaghetti
1 fresh lemon juiced
Finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse kale. Drain; transfer to bowl with some water still clinging.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sprinkle with salt; cook until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add kale and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss until wilted, about 3 minutes. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Continue cooking until kale is very tender, stirring occasionally and adding water by teaspoonfuls if dry, about 20 minutes. Add tomatoes 5 minutes before Kale is done cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in medium pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Add cooked spaghetti to kale mixture in pot. Add lemon juice and 2 tablespoons reserved cooking liquid; toss to combine, adding more liquid by tablespoonfuls if dry. Sprinkle spaghetti with grated Parmesan cheese and serve.